Monday, January 28, 2008

Sleeping Habits


Somewhere in between mismatched flower laden twin bed sheets of my youth and my current multiple sets of ironed, white, sometimes monogrammed something above 400 and below 1000 thread-count sheets I did a lot of sheet testing (aka sleeping around). In my practice, I tried pragmatic solid, flannel colored sheets from L.L. Bean, hippy style paisleys from the local Tibetan shop and dusty-I-wish-it-could-look-like-a-Calvin-Klein-photo-shoot-but-instead-it-looks-like-a-bad-case-of-indecision. Nothing fit me quite like white and nothing felt quite as good as high, high thread count.


I like to have a replacement set as soon as I strip the bed which means, since I have 6 pillows on my bed, I need at least 12 pillow cases on hand and at least one full extra set of sheets. So, how to do this within financial reason? Simply put, there is no better option than overstock.com. If you go there to shop, prepare to spend a bit of time hunting for the right color and read all the descriptions. I've ordered from there twice and have been more than happy. I used to have a bad Company Store habit, esp. because they'd tempt me with 15% offers, but even with their deals, overstock ends up being the best deal out there. (even better than amazon.)

If you are cultivating a child with indulgent tastes in bedding, there are solutions for him/her, too. I've had several sleep sack success stories from littlebigfoot.com. These euro style sleep sacks keep my son cozy and feeling secure. I don't have to worry about him getting cold at night, climbing out or getting tangled up in sheets. He, by the way, sleeps on 300+ thread count sheets from buybuybaby.com and his underneath is a lambswool pad called the Lamby Puddle Pad from Schneider's Baby in NYC. He has 2.


Lastly, now that he's getting to be as long as his pack and play, we're thinking about travel solutions. I'm debating between getting him a sheepskin rug like he uses at his daycare or getting him a travel cot (see "My Cot" and "Deluxe Travel and Trundle" from One Step Ahead). Any opinions?

No comments: