Friday, February 1, 2008

The Quickie


It's a cliche that having a child changes one's life but when it happened to me it still felt remarkably unexpected. The gains have outweighed the losses by a thousand but on some days, the things that are gone feel acutely missed.

Of all the things left behind, the most longed for might be the phone calls with my girlfriends and siblings. I miss both the luxuriously long ones and and the brief updates picking up where we left off yesterday.

The solution I'm working on to this issue the quickie phone call. It's a call made in a miraculous slip of free time where I reach a fellow busy friend/sib on the line and we speed chat a rapid download of the most important news. It's not the same as pre-baby but it' keeps the connection open. It's hardly ever balanced between the sides, but it's better than nothing. It happens on morning drop off or rides home from music class. Even the quickie happens almost never - most often I get a voicemail on the other end - but when it does, it is divine.

No comments: