Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sap, Sap, Enough to go Around

Wednesday came as any other Wednesday and I was looking forward to our date night. I was unusually jubilant that day and pinned it on things like a great nights sleep, an overall good morning with “the boy” as we saw some planes and a helicopter on the way to daycare, a light day of work and the snow falling outside my window. It was beautiful, the snow that is, and it enhanced my already good mood. On recent date nights we’ve opted for a movie out but this one we decided to go out to dinner. "A" (referring to my husband) suggested a particularly twinkly French restaurant that sits on a great corner with big glass windows looking out. We had not been before. We arranged to meet after his chiro appointment around 6:15. The babysitter arrived and I slipped out, finding myself alone in the car to play the radio and enjoy the beautiful snow coming down. Jackson Brown was on, you know the song “Doctor my eyes have seen the years and the slow parade of tears…” which I appropriately blasted in order to sing loud and get the full effect. I felt really young, like high school young - it was a great.

Upon parking I got out of my car and saw my date with his funny orange hat walking towards the restaurant. I yelled over, ran up to him and planted a big fat one on him. We were really happy to see each other and I was thinking, this is truly a delightful evening. We sat at what we considered the best table in the place – in the corner of windows - and I decided that tonight might be a great night to have my first glass of wine in 5 months (due to pregnancy). “A” had somewhat of a smirky smile on his face. He reached out of his bag and handed me an envelope. I’m thinking, what’s this? It was a very sparkly card of somewhat Moroccan style with two glasses of champagne. Still no clue (UNBELEIVABLY), I open it to see a lot of writing and the word “Anniversary” dead center. Holy Shamalamadingdong…... It was our anniversary!!! I had no idea and more embarrassingly it had not even crossed my mind….. “A” was most pleased with himself.
There’s no real point or advice to this story other than noting what a wonderful day it was even without the reminder of our anniversary. Next year, I’ll try reeeeaaallll hard to remember.

No comments: